THIS is Fascism: 10-18-17
Fascism has direction and momentum. Dissent is piece by piece criminalized. The truth is bludgeoned. Group after group is demonized and targeted along a trajectory that leads to real horrors. Fascism is a qualitative change in how society is governed. (From the Refuse Fascism Call to Action).
Read/share the comprehensive indictment of the regime’s crimes here.
Volunteer to help compile this series by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Just the Last Few Days the Trump/Pence Regime…
- Threatened to pull aid out of Puerto Rico and blamed Puerto Ricans for structural problems caused by brutal imperialist exploitation (source).The ongoing neglect of Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, and these latest threats, would lead to a genocide of Puerto Rican people (source). The actual numbers of storm-related deaths in Puerto Rico are likely much higher than the official reports (source).
- Solicited proposals from private prison companies for a new 1000-bed detention facility in South Texas “Detention Alley.” “Trump’s promised expansion of the detention system represents a boon to the private prison industry … and portends a continued focus on interior actions such as the ICE raids in Austin in February that sparked controversy because more than half of the 53 immigrants arrested had no criminal history.” (Source).
- Signed an executive order scrapping subsidies to ACA providers that help low-income people afford healthcare. In the eyes of this fascist regime, those who can’t afford healthcare don’t deserve to live. In effect, this isn’t much different from the eugenics programs of the Nazis. (Source)
- Joined and saluted leaders of white supremacist and Christian fascist hate groups at the Values Voter Summit in Washington D.C. (source) and rallied around myths of Western Christian victimhood and a supposed war on Christmas (source).
- “Joked” about Mike Pence wanting to hang all gay people. This was reported in a New Yorker article aptly titled “The Danger of President Pence.” We agree that the Christian fascist Pence is just as dangerous as the White Supremacist fascist Trump, which is why the whole regime needs to go ( source).
- Made “hard-line” demands for a DACA deal with Democrats, essentially using 800,000 Dreamers as a bargaining chip in an overall package of ethnic cleansing of immigrants – building the border wall, deportations of children, penalties for sanctuary cities, new immigration laws limiting asylum or family reunification. (Source)
- Staged an incident to escalate the vitriol and threats against NFL players taking a knee. Mike Pence walked out of a Colts-49’ers game after several players kneeled during the National Anthem. (Source) ESPN caved to pressure from Trump and suspended commentator Jemele Hill for posting on her own Twitter account that Donald Trump is a white supremacist. Jemele Hill has defended the right of players to protest. (Source).
- Escalated the level of U.S. threats on North Korea and Iran, ratcheted up lies about Iran, and continued personal insults aimed at North Korea’s ruler (and Trump’s own Secretary of State) to the point that right wing Republican Senator Bob Corker said Trump is setting the United States “on the path to World War III.” When asked about that by a reporter, Trump didn’t deny this but replied “We’re on the path right now, believe me.” (Source). And Trump unleashed a furious set of rants, personal insults and threats against Corker.
- In Charlottesville, white supremacists emboldened by Trump’s embrace of them as “fine people,” after one of them murdered an anti-fascist protester, held another Klan-style torchlight rally. (Source).
- Instituted an even worse travel ban, which now indefinitely bars most travel from 6 Muslim majority countries along with North Korea and Venezuela. (Source). Protests to Muslim Ban 1.0 were righteous, but if Muslim Ban 2.0 and now 3.0 are at least as bad (and they are!), how is that tolerable? Relying on just fighting these bans through the courts has turned out to be a disastrous strategy.
- Issued an FBI report that invents the term “Black Identity Extremism”, and says this “extremism” has “spurred an increase in premediated, retaliatory lethal violence against law enforcement and will very likely serve as justification for such violence.” These lies have ominous implications. (Source).
- Threatened to revoke NBC’s broadcast license for reporting that Donald Trump told several leading members of his national security team that he wants a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal, and for revealing that Trump’s Secretary of State called him a “moron.” NBC is standing by their story. Trump tweeted “With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!” (Source).
Updated Oct 5, 2017
In just the past few days, the Trump/Pence fascist regime has:
- Rescinded a policy that protects transgender people from discrimination.
This is the wake of reversing guidance that protects transgender students… arguing at the Supreme Court in favor of a Christian baker who refused a wedding cake to a gay couple… and arguing in court against protections against discrimination against gay workers. https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/jeff-sessions-just-reversed-a-policy-that-protects
- Gutted the requirement that employers pay for birth control. “The Trump Administration is forcing women to pay for their boss’s religious beliefs,” said ACLU senior staff attorney Brigitte Amiri, in a statement.
- Lied about fetal development to advance a federal abortion ban. The bill, which refers to the fetus as “unborn child,” reads as a piece of pro-life propaganda…
- Threatened that this may be the “calm before the storm” ominously threatening military action against North Korea or Iran… or beyond.
- In state after state, Republicans are moving rapidly and radicially to disenfranchize people of color, immigrants, students and others to lock in a permanent Republican majority in congress and choosing a president. In Florida, officials moved 46,000+ voters in Tampa alone to “inactive” status in the first six months of this year (Tampa is the key swing district in the state). In Alabama, they’ve re-instated what is in effect a poll tax – the infamous tool used for decades to deny Black people the right to vote in the South…